Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Getting Married

According to the Danish Marriage Act, the following is required for a foreigner to be married in Denmark: 

  • Be lawfully admitted and legally present in Denmark
  •  Valid passport showing proof of entry into Denmark or into the Schengen area
  • If you live outside the U.S., present a valid residence permit from country of residence
  • Complete the Marriage Form, which can be downloaded from the City of Copenhagen website 


Certificate of Marital Status is no longer required from United States citizens.  If questioned about proof of your marital status refer to the Danish National Board of Appeals (Ankestyrelsen) website 

 If you have been married previously, you must present your original divorce decree.  If your previous marriage was terminated by death, an original Death Certificate must be submitted to the Citizens Service Center (Borgerservice.)

 If you wish to get married in Copenhagen, you can scan all the documents in advance to or send them by post to:  Kobenhavns Raadhus, Bryllupskontoret, Room 91, 1599 Copenhagen V.

If you send your documents by email, you both need to personally visit the Citizens Service Center (Borgerservice) at:  Nyropsgade 1, 1602 Copenhagen V.  Bring your original documents.  Borgerservice can be reached  by telephone +45-3366 3366 or by email:     

Another possibility for a civil marriage ceremony within the city limits of Copenhagen is the Frederiksberg Town Hall.  Contact:  Citizens Service Center (Borgerservice), Frederiksberg Rådhus (town hall), 2000 Frederiksberg.   TEL:  3821 2121;  3821 2100. ; EMAIL:

NOTE:  Foreign citizens wishing to get married in Denmark are subject to Danish Law.  The U.S. Embassy is in no position to intervene, nor can we ask the Danish authorities to make exceptions to their requirements.

FEE:  Non-residents pay a fee of DKK 500 to get married in Denmark.  Payment is accepted in Danish currency only.

Same-sex Marriage:   Same-sex marriages became legal in Denmark on June 15, 2012.  Civil marriage ceremonies are now identical whether or not the couple is of the same gender.  The law also makes it mandatory for all churches to conduct same-sex marriages; however, the law provides for individual priests to refuse to carry out the ceremony.  In cases when a priest declines to conduct a same-sex marriage ceremony, the local Bishop is under the obligation to find an alternative solution.

The following is a list of the most commonly used marriage offices in Denmark:

Haderslev Kommune
Gaaskaervej 26
6100 Haderslev
TEL: +45 7434 3434  

Lolland Kommune
Jernbanegade 7
4930 Maribo
TEL: +45 5467 6767

Tønder Kommune
Jomfrustien 8 
6270 Tønder
TEL: +45 74929709

Sønderborg Kommune
Raadhustorvet 10
6400 Sønderborg
TEL:+45 88 72 51 84

Aabenraa Kommune
Skelbaekvej 2
6200 aabenraa
TEL: +45 7376 76 76

Ærø Kommune
Staterne 2
5970 Ærøskøbing
TEL: +45 63 52 50 00

Please note that on Fridays most public offices in Denmark close as early as Noon.

In general the authorities need between 5 days to 2 weeks to process the papers.  Please note that some of the municipalities require you to reside in their municipality (Kommune) for a period of time before marriage may be performed, usually 2 - 6 days.  Please check with the municipality in advance since this requirement varies.

REMEMBER:  Military personnel stationed in Germany MUST bring a permission to marry from their Commander.